Back to the Eli Simpson film rushes page: In 1953 The British Speleological Association initiated a project under the leadership of Eli Simpson to make a 16 mm film about limestone caves in the Yorkshire Dales called "Birth of a Yorkshire River". They had a number of sessions filming both on the surface and underground, experimenting with both monochrome and Kodachrome film. The project was eventually abandoned, but the rushes were discovered in the Eli Simpson Archive held by the BCRA. These Kodachrome rushes were filmed in Chapel-le-Dale. The opening sequence shows an elderly gentleman wandering around under some limestone scars sheltering a chicken hut, and then shows Eli Simpson himself walking away from the camera. This is followed by a sequence showing a campsite adjacent to Philpin Lane, with views across the valley towards Whernside.