Back to the Eli Simpson film rushes page: In 1953 The British Speleological Association initiated a project under the leadership of Eli Simpson to make a 16 mm film about limestone caves in the Yorkshire Dales called "Birth of a Yorkshire River". They had a number of sessions filming both on the surface and underground, experimenting with both monochrome and Kodachrome film. The project was eventually abandoned, but the rushes were discovered in the Eli Simpson Archive held by the BCRA. These Kodachrome rushes start with views of Ingleborough Hall and its grounds when it was still a residential school. This is followed by shots of the Clapham village bridge and the beck running through the village, and then by shots taken on the route up to Trow Gill including The Lake, the water ram, Inglebrough Cave entrance, and Trow Gill. It is interesting to see how wooded were the cliffs above Ingleborough Cave. The rushes end with a sequence in Inglebororough Cave with Arnold Brown armed with his Tilley lamp guiding a number of visitors with candles around the show cave.